NYFW: Helmut Lang AW 2012

When I attend shows during fashion week, my main focus is always about finding out how each label's new collection relates to me. I admit there have been a few shows which left me with my mouth wide open-- because I just can't relate to the collection. You see, I am no fashion pundit and I cannot really off the top of my head tell you how X collection reminds me of X designer's collection some X seasons ago. It doesn't happen that way for me all the time (and I get lucky if I remember every so often)-- and there are times I wish it would come as naturally to me as it would to other fashion journalists. This is what makes me different. Almost all the time, I write with a consumer's voice, from an "end- user's" point of view. Because while there will be a lot of brilliant clothes out there that I'd gladly love to have in my closet, there will also be collections which push the design envelope and will just not be something I see myself wearing or carrying off well in this lifetime. But that does not mean I don't appreciate them. It's just I don't see myself patronizing the brand. Appreciation is one thing, "practice" (by actually wearing what you appreciate) is another :)

I pored over Helmut Lang's AW2012 collection and immediately I was able to pinpoint which pieces I would love to have, because these are the very ones that I know I can use. Helmut Lang has always been about having a utilitarian approach to modern minimalism and in the process, producing a maximum impact without the look of having tried-- the look has always seemed effortless.

Without further ado, sharing my favorite looks which I would without hesitation, love to own (from head to foot). And P.S. Two thumbs up on pairing most of the looks with over-the-knee boots! I love how everything was put together!

This whole look of the white lapel-less jacket over black leather and skin- tight black pants may be very basic, but admit it, it does make an impact-- a strong one.

I must have this funnel- neck fur jacket!

The leather trench is beautifully cut. I love the wide belt which cinches at the waist. It's a very good look.

This is one of the "comfort" pieces of the collection. Easily one of my favorite looks.

Minimum effort, maximum impact! This is what Helmut Lang's "minimalism" is all about for me. I would love to wear this total look!  I'd rock this! :)

Oh why not, I'd have a lot of fun with this :)

Naughty and nice: Leather and Lace! 
This would be perfect for those cold winter nights. I love that while there is a certain bulkiness to the coat, it still looked very trimmed as a whole. The pairing of the coat jacket and slim pants with over-the-knee boots still promises that slender look. It's beautiful.


Michael and Nicole Colovos seems to have done mighty well for the brand this coming Fall. Can't wait for the pieces to hit my favorite stores! :)

x
TheBagHag