Travelog: Marche Aux Puces, Paris

Ahhh finally a travel post :) I'm making up for not having written a Paris travel story with this photo- heavy post, so enjoy this!

If you've got plenty of time in Paris, I honestly think the Marche aux Puces (or the flea market) is worth a visit (though not everyone I know would agree lol). The thing about flea markets and I is, I always find it so much fun combing through other people's castoffs (hello, especially in Europe!!) because in them, I've found treasures. I find beautiful antique Ormolu gold gilt glass cases amongst the "junk" (I've been collecting Ormolu glass cases for a few years already).

Now, if buying something pre- owned or with "history" is something you just can't see yourself doing, don't bother popping by this flea market because there won't be much in store for you-- the only new things there are probably fake designer merchandise being hawked left right and center. It can be disturbing. So if you aren't a bargain hunter for someone else's "trash," don't bother going.

However, if you are into little knick- knacks like I am, you must visit what is supposedly Europe's largest flea market.  Here are a few things you should be aware of before you visit the market:
  • It's only open on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays. Best to schedule your visit on a Sunday. Most shops in Paris proper are closed on Sundays anyway with the exception of those along Champs Elysees, so why not visit the flea market!
  • If you take the Metro, the market is off the Porte de Clingancourt exit on Purple Line 4. It's a little far from the city center, and I highly advice against wearing any kind of expensive jewellery. Keep your bag in front of your person as well. Oh yes-- I  recommend that you bring a companion along if this is your first time. Get off Porte de Clingancourt and toward the Marche aux Puces exit. From there it's about a 5- 8 minute walk to the markets. 
  • Check the weather before you go. The markets are outdoors and if you go during this time of the year, it can get pretty chilly.

Let me share some photos I took--just some of the things I saw. A lot of them are pretty junky, but then there are antiques as well. This is really a treasure trove of good stuff especially if you are about to decorate your home-- you just need to be patient in looking through each and every stall.

There are a few markets within the Marche aux Puces and definitely over 1,000 stalls in the whole of the market. There's the Vernaison, Paul Bert, Dauphine, Biron, Serpette to name a few markets within Les Puces. And there are lot of alleys in most of them. So you can't allocate just an hour here. The Marche Le Puces shopping "experience" is easily going to take half your day away :)
Alleys are lined with tables full of "stuff"!
Tin cans

Silver! Lots of it!

More silverware

Are you into vintage cameras?

Different kinds of bottles
Some have 'stuff' inside them. I wonder what they are... I'd never buy them though lol. Scared!
There are a lot of antique books, maps, and periodicals. If you have the patience to look through them, I think they'd be nice if framed and hung on the walls of your home.

And then you've got junk :) I wonder what people do with these broken clock faces...

I bought a few of these metal "plates".  I just don't know where they'll go haha :)

There are some nicely curated stalls in the market like this one
 Turning junk into treasure :)


Oooh I want that striped console bureau *someone correct me, I don't know the proper names for furniture*

 
Upholstery by Christian Lacroix
I love that chandelier!!

More chandeliers inside, and some antique furniture

I wanted to stay a lot longer to scour for more goodies but I had to leave because it was going to get dark soon. I walked away with some loot ;) Just a few pieces-- because the ones I really wanted are so expensive, and/ or impossible to bring home on this trip. Oh-- if you like furniture and are worried about shipping, they do have shippers and couriers who pack and ship for you. Remember though that customs, taxes, and duties will be your responsibility once they arrive in your home country-- there might be some vendeurs who say they pay for taxes, but don't believe them. You, the buyer, will be responsible for it :)

Hope you enjoyed this post!

x
TheBagHag